HONOLULU – In its final day of confirmation hearings for the Board of Education appointees, the Senate Committee on Education, chaired by Senator Jill Tokuda, unanimously decided to recommend the following appointees to the full senate today:
- Nancy Budd, attorney and a member of the Kauai Planning and Action Alliance Public Education Action Team
- Charlene Cuaresma, associate director of the UH Manoa Graduate Professional Access Program
- Cheryl Kauhane Lupenui, former chief executive officer of the YWCA on Oahu
- Keith Amemiya, executive administrator and secretary of the Board of Regents
On Wednesday, the committee unanimously voted to recommend the following appointees to the full senate for confirmation:
- Don Horner, chief executive officer and chairman of First Hawaiian Bank. Governor Abercrombie chose Horner to serve on the elected BOE to fill a vacancy on Feb. 9, and has designated him to serve as chair of the BOE.
- Brian De Lima, attorney and former Hawaii County Council Member
- Wesley Lo, chief executive officer at Maui Memorial Medical Center.
- Kim Gennaula, philanthropy director at the Kapiolani Health Foundation
- Jim Williams, administrator and CEO of the Hawaii Employer-Union Benefits Trust Fund (retired)
A floor vote is expected to take place on April 14, 2011.
Act 5, which was signed into law by the governor on March 14, 2011, gives the governor the authority to appoint nine members, which would consist of: one member from the county of Hawaii, one member from the county of Maui, one member from the county of Kauai, 3 members from the city and county of Honolulu, and three at-large-members; provided that the governor select an at-large member as the chairperson.